Monday, August 30, 2010

Octopus Hot Dogs On A Bed Of Seaweed


Several years ago, my husband wanted to make something fun for the kids for lunch so he did a little research online and found these cute octopus hot dogs and we have been making them ever since. They are super easy to create and are hands down my kids' favorite way to eat hot dogs.

We like to serve them on a bed of seaweed (steamed broccoli) surrounded by a beach of cheesy sand (brown or white rice prepared as normal and then add your favorite cheese and melt....yummy!).  The octopuses are also good served on a bed of coral (mac & cheese).

To start the octopus make four slices up the hot dog (I use kitchen scissors) and stop about 1 1/2 to 2 inches from the top (head).




After you have made your four legs, take each leg and slice it it up the middle to make your eight legs.  Be careful at this step because it is easy to lose a leg. 



When all your octopuses are prepared, add them to a sauce pan, cover with water and cook on medium.  This is where the magic happens...........the legs start to curl up and when they look like octopus legs it is time to pull the hot dogs from the water.  For a final touch add mustard or ketchup eyes.

*I used the hot dogs I got for FREE at Walmart using ad matching and coupons.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so cool. Your Husband must really love you and your kids to spend so much time looking for fun and exciting things for them. You must really love your Husband and all that he does for you and the family. Keep up the great shopping and family activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sweet comment =0).....I think that my husband is pretty special too! He serves in the military and is often away from home. His job kind of helps us keep perspective about what is important, including family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me very happy that you and the other person thinks so highly of me. I love my wife and kids and care very much about family. I hope that this finds you well.

    ReplyDelete